Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer

International Health Certificates 

USDA certified veterinarian on staff.

Appointment Types & Fees

Please note that the prices listed do not include any diagnostic tests, medications, vaccines, or treatments. These will be charged in addition to the exam fee

  • Domestic Health Certificate Appointment (60 minutes) $125
  • International Health Certificate Appointment (60 minutes) $375
  • Hawaiian Health Certificate Appointment (60 minutes) $375
  • Certification of U.S.-Issued Rabies Vaccination Appointment (60 minutes) $140
  • USDA Endorsement Fee (Varies between destinations) $75-189

Why are International Health Certificate appointments so expensive?

The cost of veterinary international health certificate appointments can be attributed to the comprehensive nature of the services provided. These appointments are not just routine check-ups; they involve a thorough examination of your pet to ensure they meet the specific entry requirements of the destination country, which may include a variety of vaccinations, tests for contagious diseases, and sometimes even parasite treatments. Additionally, the veterinarian's expertise in navigating the complex requirements for international pet travel is a specialized service and must have a special USDA accreditation and complete continuing education to maintain their accreditation.

The process also requires the veterinarian to complete detailed paperwork compliant with international standards that often requires the endorsement of the USDA or other regulatory bodies, which adds to the cost. Considering the time, resources, and knowledge required to prepare a pet for safe and compliant international travel, the fees reflect the extensive care and attention to detail necessary to ensure a smooth journey for your companion.

Preparing for Your Appointment

Please note Health certificate appointments are only available to existing clients.

Complete our pre-travel questionnaire & email it to ahead of your appointment to ensure you provide our veterinarians with all the information required for your appointment ahead of time.

Complete Health Certificate Form


Know What is Required!

  • Requirements between destinations, ports of origin & airlines, or modes of transport vary. Before your visit, we ask that you personally research what is needed for the destination you plan to travel to & the airline you plan to travel on, including the timeline for any test and/or vaccine requirements. 
  • The Castro Animal Hospital is not responsible for ensuring that veterinary services, flights, and/or any other transportation arrangements are booked in accordance with the requirements for travel. 
  • Health Certificates can only be issued on the day of an appointment and cannot be issued retroactively. 
  • The USDA may require a separate endorsement fee of up to $189 (varies between destinations)
  • Some destinations do not accept digitally endorsed health certificates & therefore a prepaid overnight envelope is required for the USDA to mail you your Health Certificate (Varies by destination, please check ahead with the USDA prior to your appointment)

Airline Requirements

We strongly recommend going to your airline's website and assure that you meet all of your airline’s requirements as they may differ from the destination requirements. Some airlines require health certificates while others do not so calling and checking in with them to understand their requirements before your appointment can help us get you and your pet ready for travel

Domestic Traveling

When traveling domestically the USDA APHIS (United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) has provided a website where you can visit and view what every state requires from you when arriving and traveling to each state. 

USDA Domestic Travel

Some states require a CVI (Certificate of Veterinary Inspection) in order to be able to enter the state.

International Traveling

International Traveling can be extremely stressful; we will guide you to the best of our knowledge to the right steps for a successful, stress-free travel experience!

The link below is the USDA APHIS website that will tell you exactly what is required for the arrival to the country of your choosing. 

USDA International Travel

It will direct you to the country and you will follow the prompts, be sure to select the country and species of your pet(s) and follow their prompts to view the correct requirements necessary. 

Rabies Titer (FAVN) Testing

A Rabies Titer Test is a test for the production of antibodies in your pet in response to a Rabies vaccine & is a requirement for some countries for entry with a pet. This test can only be run through the Kansas State Rabies Laboratory and can take 6 to 8 weeks turnaround from the time of your pet's blood draw. This test can therefore impede your traveling plans, so please keep this in mind when booking your appointment and travel plans. 

Emotional Support Animals vs Service Animals

Most Emotional Support Animals are no longer recognized for airline travel unless they are registered service animals. If you are traveling with a registered service animal we recommend that you research what forms your airline may require you to complete prior to travel

Important information regarding travel with your pet during COVID-19

The CDC has put a temporary ban on pets coming in from certain countries. If you are traveling to those countries with your pets, you may not be able to bring them back to the US. For more information, see the latest CDC announcement here. 

Call us at (415) 877-1555 or request an appointment online for your pet's health certificate.

USDA Certified Veterinarian

Polk Street Animal Hospital